Friday, February 1, 2008

Story of the Week - Jan 28-Feb 1

So sue me, I waited until Monday morning to write this.

Super Weekend

It's going to be hard for me to forget my 25th Birthday and the weekend that followed. Almost all of it is sports related, but so what?

On Friday, the Mets bought me a $150 million birthday present, securing the services of "the best pitcher on the planet" (there are aparently better players on other planets, but the Mets are yet to set up an intergalactic scouting unit, so we're not sure.), Johan Santana. Instantly, the sports world says the Mets are the best team in the National League. I hope so.

Saturday, the Syracuse Orangemen (that's what they were called on my ticket, so I'm going with it) played an inspired game in Philadelphia against the Villanova Wildcats. After falling behind early, the Orangemen put together an 18-2 run and never relinquished. They kept 'Nova's offense off balance most of the game and were dominant on the defensive glass. And they did it all with just 7 players, as they'll have to do the rest of the season. The best part of the experience for me was a late basket that put Syracuse up by 16 and sent the majority of the crowd to the exits. It was such a good experience, I'll even spare the "philadelphia sucks" rant.

And then, there was Sunday. I'll keep it short, enough has been and will be written about Super Bowl XLII. But I'll just say this: The day the Mets finished their "historic collapse" (as it's come to be known) the Giants sacked the Eagle's Donovan McNabb a few hundred times en route to their second win. They were 2-2, and I was convinced they were at best an 8-8 team. I, like many other fans of the Giants, wanted Tom Coughlin out. Even after 6 straight wins, I was sure I was looking at an early exit from the playoffs and a long winter wait until Spring Training.
Then, they turned into a team I think I always thought they could be, but never thought they would be. And 6 weeks or so later, they do this:





1 comment:

Eric said...

well what do you know- Coughlin is almost smiling!